Author Topic: milk quality  (Read 4427 times)

paul bogdala

milk quality
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »
Milk cartons do not say anything about side effects from hormons and chemicals used to pasteurize the milk.I believe there is not much left of raw milk in those cartons ?

Jan Steinman

• Working Group Members
    • EcoReality Co-op
Re: milk quality
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
To my knowledge, "hormones and chemicals" are not used in pasteurization, which is strictly a heat-treatment.

If you are interested in this topic, I strongly recommend The Untold Story of Milk, by Ron Schmid, ND. It explains how the white, milk-like substance you see in stores in manufactured.
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

paul bogdala

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:57:18 AM »
Thank You !

paul bogdala

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »
Hormons and chemicals are used to feed animals and that gets in to milk . Thats why I have my trusted farmer !I know how animals mare fed OK?

Richard Barrett

• Working Group Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
In Canada the Bovine Growth Hormone is illegal to use.  When antibiotics is used, after the last dose is given, the farmer does not allow the milk to go into the bulk tank till it is out of the cow's body.  The farmer I spoke to about this throws an extra milking away to be safe.  The penalty is server if antibiotics is tested and found in the milk.

Jan Steinman

• Working Group Members
    • EcoReality Co-op
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
"When antibiotics is used, after the last dose is given, the farmer does not allow the milk to go into the bulk tank till it is out of the cow's body."

This is not necessarily true, and it varies from drug to drug.

I realize it is not an "anti-biotic" per se, but eprinomectin has "zero withholding time," which means there is no regulation about how long one must wait before milking or butchering. Others, like ivomectin, has a 30-day withholding time.
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::